Monday, November 25, 2013

POTS Swag: Water Bottles!

Drinking 4 Liters of water every day can become a logistical challenge for someone who's on the go a lot. And, let's be honest, the goal of treating POTS is to be on the go again, right? I've tried a few options for carrying enough water around, and I think I finally found something I like.

First, the things that I tried that just didn't work.
Attempt #1: Normal sports bottle. Yeah... that 16 oz plastic bottle was a pain in the butt, because I was constantly having to refill it. I tried carrying more than one, but then where to put my spare bottles? Not to mention that I would have to drink 8 of those per day... it just was overwhelming.
Attempt #2:  HUMONGOUS bottle. I got a huge, 64 ounce insulated mug, sort of like what you used to be able to buy at the gas station and fill with soda. I only had to fill it twice a day, but it was huge. It was ungainly to drink from and hard to carry around. It didn't close completely, so I had to be careful not to let it spill, but just try and put that bad boy into a cupholder. Not gonna happen. And it weighed a fair piece when full, too. Good luck hauling that around while chasing your kids.
Attempt #3: Liter sports bottle. I bought a bottle of water at a gas station that was 1 Liter in size, and it was nice. Easy. The only problem, though, was that the empties take up a lot of space. But what about a collapsible bag? I went to a sporting goods store and saw very few options. I was hoping for something that was 1 Liter, collapsible, and had a sport top.
Solution! I noticed a 3-pack of 1 Liter collapsible bottles for the Sawyer Squeeze Water Filtration System. These bottles are meant to be used when camping or hiking with a separate filter that screws into the bottle. Yeah, I skipped that filter part. I just bought the 3-pack of Sawyer bottles, then I went to a gas station and bought a bottle of Smart Water with a sport top. I swapped the sport top from the Smart Water with the flat cap on one of the Sawyer bottles and there it was!
Now I have three collapsible 1 Liter water bottles. I swap the sport top between the bags when I use them. I carry one around with me and keep the other two in the fridge, filled and ready to roll. Because it's not solid, you can sort of squeeze it to fit in any cupholder or storage spot. They lay flat when full, so they take up less room in the fridge. But the best part is that an empty bag can be rolled up and tucked into a bag, purse or even a pocket. And with the sport top, it's also easy to drink from on the go.
I get asked about it a lot, and one guy told me "Do you sell those things? You sound like you should!" I'm just super enthusiastic about them because they truly work for me, and that's important. When you have to drink SO MUCH water, you really have to have an easy way to carry it around with you. This makes it convenient.


No comments:

Post a Comment